Aging like fine wine....my value increases

Aging like fine wine....my value increases
Aging like fine wine....my value is increasing

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Aging gracefully



Come on in, let's sit together and chat about "aging gracefully."  All of us are getting older every day and how in the heck do we do that gracefully?  Here is a cute little poem to get us started.


Getting Older

© Pam Harman
I'm not impressed with getting older,
It doesn't seem like a lot of fun,
Every joint seems to be seizing up,
And my feet won't let me run,
I don't hear as well as I used to,
My sight has never been good,
I'm still too slim, not curvy,
In spite of eating lots of pud!
I know now that I'll never be rounded,
Although for many years I've tried,
To grow a bosom I could catch crumbs on.
But my wish has been denied.
I suppose that I'm still quite bendy,
In spite of advancing years,
I'm able to push my head on my knees,
Without a hint of tears!
One of my greatest pleasures,
Is a long, long soak in the tub,
Up to my chin in bubbles,
and a bestseller from the book club.
I've always been impatient,
Some things never alter,
But now I want things yesterday,
Ask him indoors John Walter!
I guess I shouldn't grumble,
Things could be so much worse,
I could explode with impatience,
And end up in a hearse!!


Source: Getting Older, Funny Life Poem http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/getting-older#ixzz2QdSElrRJ 
www.FamilyFriendPoems.com 


All humour aside, we age more every day and we need to get a handle on it.  We cannot look to the movie stars for comfort and modelling because they live a life where their looks are their jobs and plastic surgery, personal trainers, obsession with fashion, etc. make them out to be unreal and fake.  In our culture, aging is deemed a curse.  We are supposed to have eternal youth and the elderly are looked down upon and shut away in nursing homes because we are busy getting fit and gorgeous so we won't follow in their footsteps too soon.   

Here are a few tips to help you with getting a little older....as we all will...guaranteed.

*Although your body deteriorates, your spirit grows stronger if you will allow it

*Dress in current styles.  By adding a trendy piece to a classic outfit, you will look and feel good

* Maintain muscle mass, which protects you from falling

*Create milestones that you can work towards

*Keep your sense of humour and your child-like sense of awe

* Have goals and projects that you love to get involved in

* Go out, to the theatre , the gym, cultural events

*Don't age gracefully but age "passionately" pursuing interests and dreams with the help of loved ones and community resources


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favourite book to read?

  • Crescendo
  • Darkness Slipped In
  • Elijah's Coin
  • Hush Hush
  • It's a Book (excellent plus)
  • Mrs. Tom Thumb
  • Nana's getting married
  • Room
  • Sacred Heart
  • The Alchemist

Subscribe on JacketFlap

Subscribe to This Blog in the JacketFlap Blog Reader